Thursday 26 April 2012

Blind man builds car

Blind man builds car  
 
A SUFFOLK man has spent five years building a car from scratch - but can’t drive it himself because he is blind.

Pete Golsby, 68, felt as if his life had fallen apart when he was registered blind 12 years ago after suffering an immune system problem.

Having always dreamed of building a car, and with lots of time suddenly on his hands, he decided to give it a go anyway. Incredibly he managed to piece together the silver Pembleton Brooklands sports car with the help of magnifiers and visual aids. Wife Hazel, 66, was a constant help when he needed to borrow a pair of eyes to make sure he wasn’t going astray.

He used an engine from an old motorbike, car parts donated by friends and even piping from an old shower, all of which had to be taken apart and cleaned up. Mr Golsby, from Newmarket, said: “After I lost my sight it was a case of sink or swim and I found it very difficult.

“I’ve always wanted to build a car so I thought I’d give it a try and see how I got on. I’m really proud that I managed to build it all. For me it was a matter of being able to prove to myself that I could still do it.”

The car breezed through its MOT and Mr Golsby is now waiting for a Single Vehicle Assessment so it can be driven on the road. “It’s a two-seater so Hazel will drive me out and about when it’s sunny,” he added.

Source: http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/entertainment/25-Apr-2012/blind-man-builds-car

No comments:

Post a Comment